Confession time. Up until yesterday evening I wasn’t sure what ‘hash’ was (in food-related terms). After a bit of googling, turns out its a skillet-based, typically breakfast dish involving meat, potatoes and eggs and great for using up leftovers. Well, this recipe includes none of those ingredients but considering that ‘hash’ seems to be a catch-all terms for incorporating whatever you feel like cooking and tossing it together in a pan, then that’s what I’m calling this dish. Either that or a scramble. Ok, I’ve gone with scramble. It feels more like a scramble. Ultimately, what this boils down to is a super easy and very healthy way to combine a bunch of vegetables and some grains and call it dinner. You could probably whack an egg on top or add some tofu too if you need some additional protein. Bon appetit!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Serves: 1 hungry person, 2 moderately hungry people
- 1 Tbsp olive or cooking oil
- 3 handfuls of washed spinach
- 1 handful of frozen butternut squash
- 3 Tbsp of frozen sweetcorn
- 2 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 3 Tbsp of quinoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp crushed chilli
- 1 handful of broccoli florets (cut into small pieces)
- Rocket and pine nuts to garnish
- Blend the spinach, butternut squash and sweetcorn together.
- Add the chilli, salt and pepper.
- Tip into a bowl and mix with the flour to create a slightly firmer consistency, almost like a batter.
- In a separate pan, bring some water to the boil and add the quinoa. Turn down to a simmer and leave for 10 minutes. (Alternatively, I really like this Bulgar Wheat, Cracked Soya & Red Quinoa combo from Morrisons, which I’m sure they have variants of in most supermarkets.)
- Add the broccoli to the quinoa or steam separately.
- In a frying pan or skillet, heat up the oil.
- Add the spinach batter and stir constantly like scrambled eggs.
- Once cooked through, drain the quinoa and broccoli and add to the mixture, stirring through so its all mixed together.
- Tip into a bowl and garnish with rocket and pine-nuts.
- I reckon some avocado would also work nicely on top.